I recently had a youtube subscriber ask me how she can prepare healthy meals for herself and her family on a limited budget. What are you supposed to do when you can’t afford organics?
1. Don’t fret. If you can’t afford organics the best thing to do is eat simple foods from scratch. Avoid the pre-made packaged foods. Keep it simple.
2. Plan meals week by week. Thinking ahead helps not only your pocket book, but your waist line. When you don’t have meals planned you are more likely to spend money on take out.
3. Take a list to the grocery store. Stay on task. Buy what you planned to buy and don’t stray.
4. Buy in bulk. A big bag of brown rice and a bag of frozen chicken breasts go alone way.
5. Shop locally. If you can – buy direct from the source. Find a local farmers market or co-op. The prices are typically better and the produce fresher.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to break the bank. Think old school. Your great grandma or grandma would have bags of beans and rice on hand. And she probably canned her own green beans too. My best friend lives in Chicago and she managed to make her own pickles – the best damn pickles I have ever had by the way! She even has a little urban herb garden too.
Get creative. Find a patch in the back yard and grow some veggies. Not only will it save some dough, but your kids will love learning about where their food comes from!