Ask yourself these 10 simple questions to test your fitness knowledge.
1. You must do 60 continuous minutes of cardio to effectively lose fat.
False. In fact the best fat burning workout is not long continuous cardio, but rather 20-30 minutes of intervals. It’s better to shift back and forth from low to high intensity.
2. It’s important to stretch your muscles before a workout.
False. Stretching cold muscles is a mistake that could lead to injury. Make sure to stretch after a workout while the muscles are warm.
3. Lifting weights helps you lose fat.
True. Weight lifting builds muscle. Muscle requires more energy than other tissue in the body and therefore the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn.
4. The best way to lose fat around the tummy and get a six pack is to do hundreds of abdominal exercises.
False: You will never get a six pack regardless of how many crunches you do unless you ad some high intensity aerobic exercise to your routine. You can’t spot reduce. Add a spinning class to your workout to lose overall body fat and allow that six pack to reveal itself!
5. The best time to exercise is when you have time.
True. There is no point in setting your alarm for 5am if you know you wont get up. Do what you can to make exercise easy for you. It’s better to do it later in the day than not at all. The key is to be consistent.
6. One pound of fat = 3500 calories.
True. If you drop 500 calories a day from your diet you will easily be able to lose one pound a week.
7. If you are thirsty you are already on your way to dehydration.
True. Thirst is a signal that you don’t have enough water in your system already. Drink a glass of water before you workout, drink water every 20 minutes during a workout and a glass of water after your workout to prevent dehydration.
8. Exercise releases hormones that help combat mild depression.
True. Exercise makes you happy. It’s scientifically proven to increase serotonin levels. So, get your butt to the gym! Not only will your body be healthier but your brain will be too.
9. Sitting in the steam room or sauna for 20 minutes after a workout will help you lose fat.
False. While the steam and sauna are relaxing and may help detoxify your body by stimulating the lymphatic system they won’t help you lose weight. Any “weight” that you might lose is water and will be replenished within the next day .
10. It doesn’t matter what exercise you do as long as you exercise.
True and False. If you haven’t exercised in a while just pick something you like and do it. Anything is better than nothing. But, eventually your body will need some variety to avoid the ominous “plateau.” It’s good to mix it up so your body is challenged in new ways especially if weight loss is a goal.